Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2 month check up

It was the first time I willingly inflicted pain on my baby (besides birth...but does that count?) - 2 month immunizations happened today.  Harper did great, a scream and tears after each shot (there were three) but as soon as I picked her up she was quiet and looking around, like she didn't really believe she had just felt the pain. 

This afternoon and early evening, there was an hour where she was screaming and couldn't be consoled, but eventually she let herself fall asleep.  Perhaps the squirt of tylenol helped, or the warm bottle, or maybe she was just so tired from crying that she needed to regain her energy. 

Shots are hard on little babies!  There is a lot going on in their bodies already and then add three tender pokes...I feel bad for her! 

The doctor's office didn't come out of the event shining either.  The receptionist had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for the packet of immunization information I was supposed to receive, as stated by the form she gave me to sign verifying I had received said packet. 

The nurse in the room couldn't answer my questions, the Doctor gave a quick overview of what shots would be given but didn't take my concerns for side effects very seriously.  Had I not looked into vaccines on my own, I would be pretty shell shocked by their procedure for giving them. 

But, the important thing is Harper, and she seems to be doing ok.  I'll keep close watch on her, as I've been reading some pretty scary stories of side effects.  (The internet has everything - good and bad!)

The other part of her visit today was her normal check up.  She is now 14 lbs 4 oz and 24 inches long! She is a healthy, growing girl! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey - Congratulations on becoming a mama! I found your blog through Sara(Cotton)Ackley's. =) A good resource for vaccine info is Dr. Bob Sears' The Vaccine Book if you haven't already read it. And we've found with our two little guys that a nice big pinch of skin, held pretty firmly, is a nicer way to give vaccinations. They don't feel the needle through the pinch and the pinch itself isn't hard enough to hurt!

    ReplyDelete