Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dr. Appointment

I met with my midwife today.  It was an interesting appointment.  For about 15 minutes there was talk that the baby had flipped and was breech, but after a sonogram,  they said that no, that wasn't the case.  It was great to see her spine.  All of the bones lined up so perfectly. 

After listening to heart tones (120 bpm) and confirming she was in the correct position, they decided to put the fetal monitor on me to make sure that the correct hills and valleys were happening.  (I'm sorry, I don't remember the technical terms.)  For about 25 minutes, I listened to horrible Bloomington Normal pop music on the radio and pushed a button,  like those on Jeopardy, every time I felt the baby move.  That showed everything was fine too. 

Then came the exam.  There is really no prepping for the shock of having someone put their fingers in your cervix.  Of all the discomfort I've felt in my pregnancy, so far, these exams take the cake.  The good news, I have progressed from my previous exam - I'm at 3 cm.  Not that I was encouraged by finding that out. 

So we talked time lines and options. Discussing how long I can wait before they feel it's necessary to induce with medication.  I'm hoping it won't come to that, so my goal now is to have this baby before next Thursday.  There are natural herbs and oils that will help, but only if my body is ready for this next part.  They are more like contraction encouragement than inducers. 

More to come, you can be sure of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment